SubjectRe: RFS?
> According to Kevin K. Sochacki:
> > If I recall correctly RFS only worked in homogeneous environments, as
> > opposed to NFS which works in a heterogeneous environments.
>
> If by "homogeneous" you mean "all UNIX", I recall the same. And I like.

Sorry, but as someone already pointed out, it's worse than this.
RFS used to panic when you attempted to use it between big and little
endian hosts (specifically an AT&T 3B2 and an x86 PC). It's impossible
to use device files correcly/safely, again because endianess means you
don't know if your ioctls are the right way around, or if the OS isn't
identical, if they even match up. The uid mapping stuff was great for
two machines, lousy for ~10, and utterly unmanageable for 100s or
1000s (every machine has to have a mapping file for every other machine
with *no* facilities for administration thereof). The list goes on.

Sadly, it's an all too familiar story of something that came out of the
AT&T USG. An interesting idea, inadequately thought out and badly implemented.
It's like what the USG did to STREAMS (the 8th edition Unix STREAMS are not
the baroque mess that was eventually shipped in System V).

I don't know anything about Coda, but it sounds like a much better starting
place.

Regards,

Tim

--
Tim Wright | Aracnet -- Portland's loudest electrons
timw@aracnet.com OR | Ring +1 503 626.6873 V.34 (28800) 24hrs

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.071 / U:0.440 seconds]