    SubjectRe: NODIRATIME...great work!
    On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

    > Perry Harrington writes:
    > > I believe it was a Gooch hack? Great work people. I turned this on, and
    > Yeah, I 'fess up. It was me.
    > > my disk tree read speed was fscking fast!!! Now I can cache my entire
    > > mount tree and do a find without hearing any disk access. X loads
    > > faster, Netscape loads faster, this hack really kicks ass!
    > >
    > > Thanks, this was actually more noticable than the noatime patch.
    > Nodiratime should be a functional subset of noatime. Using nodiratime
    > should not give any more performance (less disc activity) than
    > noatime.

    I'de like to see this as the default setting! It helps performance,
    and I've never seen anyone who claimed to have a use for directory atimes.

    Perhaps the person above tried noatime before the dcache was in the
    kernel, so this now seems faster.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.042 / U:186.896 seconds]