    SubjectRe: UNBELIEVABLE linux story!
    At 09:14 AM 6/5/98 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
    >I accidentally pryed the power plug from my main hard disk WHILE
    >THE COMPUTER WAS ON AND RUNNING LINUX! I plugged the cable back
    >in and linux kept running!

    You can automate that procedure if you want--there are companies that sell
    disk units that randomly power down and up.

    If you try to get a disk driver certified by Novell for Netware, one of the
    tests is to hook a disk controlled by your driver up to such a device, and
    mirror it with another disk, and then run disk stress tests for a long time,
    while the torture device is doing its thing.

    There must be no data corruption, and, I believe, no significant loss of
    performance while the drive is taken down and up.

    --Tim Smith

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.018 / U:8.132 seconds]