SubjectBig bad NFS directories in 2.0.xx
I've got a directory with 3000 files in it. (Yes, I know this is a bad
thing, but sometimes it happens.) If this directory is NFS mounted on my
Linux box, and I do an ls of it, ls eats up a huge amount of memory. In
my case my machine is an alpha with 256 MB of RAM and another 256 of
swap. So, 512 MB gets eaten up and the machine goes south. Therefore, I
know it used up at least 512 MB. This is a pretty easy fault for an end
user to cause.

I found that if I cranked up NFS_READDIR_CACHE_SIZE I could dramatically
cut down the amount of memory consumed and speed up the
operation. What's the downside to this? I assume I'm eating more memory
in the cached entries. What can we do about preventing ls from eating up
so much memory in this condition?

I was running this on an Alpha with RH 5.0 a 2.0.30 kernel.

- |Daryll

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.127 / U:0.200 seconds]