SubjectRe: 2.1.90 Just wont compile
> I see people having problems building older development kernels
> and wonder... It is generally known that 2.1.X is a development
> series. The latest official release of the development kernel as
> of this writing is 2.1.103. Why do people insist on trying to build
> back-rev development kernels and complain when they run into problems?
> Point: things move quickly in the development series, and thirteen
> official releases since 2.1.90 represents a lot of work and bugfixes
> that are being ignored.

Because we need some device support for a nifty widget or
filesystem that we can't get in 2.0.x and have problems building many
kernels such as .103, especially when we then have to rebuild them without
SMP support if we expect them to actually run.

Bottom line: a devel tree kernel *can* be more stable than a
production kernel. Numbering is irrelevant.

--Majdi
--
Majdi Abbas <gis.gen.il.us!msa> Systems/Network Admin
"Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself." -- John Bernal