SubjectRe: Me & my IDE (problems)

On 7 May 1998, Craig I. Hagan wrote:

> "Dave J. Andruczyk" <dave@www.buffalostate.edu> writes:
>
> > SCSI approach:
> > Processor tells controller gimme "this data from wherever on disk number
> > X" Controller says: Ok, go do something else, I'll call you when its
> > ready. processor is free to go do other things while the Intelligence in
> > the scsi controller takes care of the data transfer setup and motions..
>
> in a similar tone, scsi also allows the OS to say
> "gimme the following different pieces of data from the following
> devices, [long list of requests]" to which the scsi controller
> would again respond "Okay boss, go do something other than
> watch me work."
>
> -- craig

00:14.0 SCSI storage controller: Artop Electronic Corp ATP850UF (rev 01)
I/O ports at eff0
I/O ports at efe4
I/O ports at efa8
I/O ports at efe0
I/O ports at ef90
Expansion ROM at febf8000

ef90-ef97 : ide0
ef98-ef9f : ide1
efa8-efaf : ide1
efe2-efe2 : ide1
efe6-efe6 : ide0
eff0-eff7 : ide0

Look closely at the two lists and their are many things alike.
This this UDMA EIDE Controller with a modified SCSI Controller does

CPU0 CPU1
19: 3662 3669 IO-APIC-level ide0

AEC6210: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev a0
AEC6210: not 100ative mode: will probe irqs later
AEC6210: ROM enabled at 0xfebf8000
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xef90-0xef97, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xef98-0xef9f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL ST3.2A, ATA DISK drive
hdb: QUANTUM FIREBALL ST6.4A, ATA DISK drive
hdc: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
hdd: CD-ROM CDU611, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide2: ports already in use, skipping probe
ide0 at 0xeff0-0xeff7,0xefe6 on irq 19
ide1 at 0xefa8-0xefaf,0xefe2 on irq 19 (shared with ide0)
hdd: ATAPI 10X CDROM drive, 256kB Cache

> "gimme the following different pieces of data from the following
> devices, [long list of requests]" to which the scsi controller
> would again respond "Okay boss, go do something other than
> watch me work."

also and for less bucks..............

Please let us agree that a SCSI chipset is more powerful,
the EIDE is the storage of the masses. No more contests to see
who can pee higher up the tree, I am out...............

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.072 / U:0.372 seconds]