SubjectNMI interrupt question
Date
I added some memory to my linux box, for a total of 192 MB.  I am
trying to enable ECC in the BIOS and am having problems.

Linux runs fine with ECC enabled, except that I get the following
during bootup:

Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
You probably have a hardware problem with your RAM chips or a
power saving mode enabled.

(I checked the BIOS settings, the power-saving stuff is turned off.)

My problem is that Windows 95 does *not* run fine when I enable ECC.
It will eventually (after some time running apps on the machine) crash
with a message that indicates a memory error (as I recall, it might
have been parity error, NMI, whatever).

My question has to do with NMI handling in linux. I am using 2.0.33
with a few patches. Does this kernel disable NMI during normal
operation? If this were a memory problem I would expect linux to log
NMI interrupts in the syslog, would I not? I see no such messages.

I booted the memtest86 program and ran it for a day or two on the
machine, with no errors detected.

Joe Buehler

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.028 / U:0.520 seconds]