SubjectRe: AIC-7890?
On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Jonas Oberg wrote:
> linker@nightshade.ml.org answered to Geert's question about the
> AIC-7890:
>
> > I was able to install redhat 5.1 on a simmlar intel board. 5.0 would not
> > detect the controler..
>
> Geert wrote:
>
> > > We're considering building a Beowulf system using ASUS P2B-DS (i440BX)
> > > Pentium II motherboards. These boards have Adaptec AIC-7890 and
> > > AIC-3860 Ultra2 Wide SCSI chips.
>
> I just got a system here using the exact same motherboard and I've
> been working on trying to make it detect the SCSI-devices. I've gotten
> as far as noting that there should be AIC-7890 support in the kernel
> (Atleast in my 2.1.107). However, Adaptec uses another PCI vendor ID
> for this chipset on the ASUS motherboard and has no knowledge
> whatsoever of the AIC-7890.
>
> After having inserted this information (included below) into the
> PCI-drivers, I've gotten so far as to make the kernel acctually say
> what it is in /proc/pci, but the scsi still doesn't detect any hosts.
> Any suggestions would be warmly welcome.
>
> The ASUS P2B-DS motherboard (and probably others aswell) uses an
> AIC-7890 SCSI storage controller with the following data:
>
> PCI_VENDOR_ID 0x9005 (Adaptec)
> PCI_DEVICE_ID 0x001f (AIC-7890)

Have you tried adding those numbers to the aic7xxx_pci_devices and board_names
arrays in drivers/scsi/aic7xxx.c? The 7890 might be sufficient similar to the
7895 to make this work.

I used a similar trick to make a 3c905 board work, when the only 3Com 100 base
support was for the 3c595.

Greetings,

Geert

--