SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability
On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> From: "Craig I. Hagan" <hagan@cih.com>
> Date: 30 Jun 1998 13:10:43 -0400
>
> let me propose the following to you: i have a very large (read > 100g)
> raid array (hitachi). when i carve a chunk out for a specific system,
> it looks like one honkin huge spindle. i DON'T want to allocate/deallocate
> based upon entire spindles.
>
> OK, great. You have a RAID unit. Is it RAID 0/1/4/5? Presumably the
> RAID unit is doing the striping, et. al, right? In this configuration,
> how often do you need to resize the amount of disk space allocated for a
> particular filesystem, and in what size chunks? Is it usually only to
> grow the filesystem, or are you sometimes shrinking it? (And in what
> units do you typically do the growing and shrinking --- and why?)

You speak like there's a significant performance hit with the LVM! With
the benifit of being able to tune your device and implement striping,
mirroring, etc... The performance gain of having all that with NO IMPACT
to the complexity of an FS is more than a justification for it.

Your not spliting up the disk device, per say, you're only handling
address remapping in 4 meg units. You can choose bigger, or smaller. I
don't see you complaining about disk blocks...

-Shawn

> If you don't mind the questions, I'd like to better understand your
> application, and what's driving your requirements. Thanks....
>
> - Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.139 / U:0.148 seconds]