SubjectRe: repost: dynamic fd array patch for 2.1.103
Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org> writes:

> This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text,
> while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
> Send mail to mime@docserver.cac.washington.edu for more info.
>
> --------------337FD1A0EE568B2E614751C8
>

> On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:
>
> > The patch was primarily intended to save memory and reduce forking
> > overhead, but some people have expressed an interest in using it to
> > extend the fd limit beyond the hard-wired 1024 (NR_OPEN) limit. It
> > should work as well for that, assuming that the other problems with
> > increasing NR_OPEN have been taken care of (libc issues, etc.)
>
> glibc-2.0.7 uses fd_set (and therefore must be recompiled with a larger
> NR_OPEN) in the following files:

[..]

The real way to fix that IMHO is to either convert glibc internally to use
poll(), or add an macro to allocate fd_sets using alloca. I've did the poll
solution for glibc 2.0 some months ago, and I wanted to submit it for 2.1,
but this all failed so far because none of the glibc2.1 snapshots I tried
compiled on my system.

I think the poll solution is better because it has less overhead in-kernel.
On 2.0 it'll just fall back to the select based poll emulation (which currently
is NR_OPEN dependent still, but that can be easily fixed).

The only thing that is ugly to convert to poll in glibc is the rather crufty
sunrpc code. Because the current code is very bad and has a few other problems
(not threadsafe, no support for IPv6) I think the best solution for it is to
remove it completely and replace it with Alexey Kuznetsov's port of the newer
TI-RPC

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.056 / U:0.272 seconds]