    SubjectRe: OBSOLETE STUFF (gpm, etc..)
    On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:

    > > On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 06:05:04 PM -0700, dalecki wrote:
    > > > 2. The whole console selection related ioctl stuff.
    > > >
    > > > It was broken from the beginning on. There is currently a new
    > > > replacement mechanism: /dev/vcs, which should provide the same
    > > > funcionality. Removing it will only break the in my oppinion
    > > > anyway toyish mouse selection on text based consoles. This is
    > > > something that will not break the system since this
    > > > functionality isn't essential for operation.
    > > > (8k)
    > > "toyish mouse selection on text based consoles" is somthing that _many_
    > > linux users find very useful. Replace the code in gpm that uses this
    > > with /dev/vcsa, then wait a couple of years, then remove the code.
    >
    > Why? You just have to upgrade another program, along with the other, say,
    > 10, that you will have to upgrade if you are coming from 2.0. Or are there
    > any other programs using the same code as gpm? And, btw, I find selection
    > and gpm highly useful.

    while we're on the subject, does anyone else have really flaky mouse
    motion with a serial mouse in gpm? it kind of jumps around, but it's still
    usable. i wouldn't consider it a bug, but more of something that could be
    improved on. it's happened on every linux system i've ever used with gpm
    and a serial mouse (about 15 or so different systems, with different mice)

    i apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but if it's a kernel issue
    having to do with IRQ's or scheduling or whatnot, it would be better
    answered here. note that the mentioned behavior does NOT happen with a
    ps/2 bus mouse.
    | / |/ /_ __/ /_____ | Nuke Skyjumper |
    | / / // / '_/ -_) | "Master of the Farce" |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.026 / U:120.116 seconds]