SubjectRe: Thread implementations...
On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > We obviously have "nonagle" already, but there are actually two kinds of
> > "nonagle", and the normal nonagle that everybody already supports is
> > actually exactly the wrong kind of nonagle for this kind of thing.
> >
> > You really want three cases:
> > - "new" nonagle. This is actually a much more useful form of nonagle, I
> > wonder why nobody does it. It always coalesces into a full packet until
> > it times out.
> >
> > You can think of this as "nagle with a packet in flight constantly".
> >
> > The only thing with the new nagle is that you want some kind of software
> > interface for the final push. Obviously closing the socket would do it,
> > but you want to do a push even without closing the socket.
>
> setsockopt(fd, SOL_SOCKET, SO_NAGLEMODE, ...)
>
> and getsockopt() too..
>
> And applying fsync(2) for explicite outbound PUSH ?
> (or fdatasync(2) for that matter..)
>
> (The fsync(2) has everywhere been defined as disk-only
> operation, which has no functionality in e.g. sockets)

fsync() requires "synchronised I/O completion state" (Unix98), which
says nothing about disks explicitly. It would seem to imply that the
call would need to block until the data is ACKed by the peer.

I think the send() idea Alan and Linus tossed around is the cleanest
way to go, in combination with:
setsockopt(fd, SOL_SOCKET, SO_CONSTIPATED)
;-)

Adam
--
You crucify all honesty \\Adam D. Bradley artdodge@cs.bu.edu
No signs you see do you believe \\Boston University Computer Science

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.139 / U:0.476 seconds]