    SubjectRe: quad ppro Compaq proliant 5000 problems with 2.1.106-ac4 was: Re: Any SMP people out there with SCSI CD ROMs?

    On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

    > At least you know matrix multiply is totaly blocked on main memory,
    > otherwise you might see 1/4 the performance with 4 processes.
    >
    > > Look everybody, it's very simple. 1 copy of the program takes 52
    > > seconds. 2 copies of the same program running at the same time take
    > > 59 seconds each. 3 copies take 66 seconds, 4 take 73. Each process
    > > runs on its own CPU, but when several of them are running each takes
    > > a little longer because they contend for the slow main memory, even
    > > though each process has a CPU all to itself.
    >
    > This is one of the drawbacks with ppro's is that their chipsets,the 450gx
    > and 440fx have about half the memory bandwidth of the p2's lx chipset with
    > the bx chipset providing slightly higher throughput than that. Of course
    > 450gx is the only way to go for 4 processors on a pc (for the next couple
    > of days anyway) until the 450nx and the slot2 p2 make their entrance. see
    > the discussion about this in the beowulf list about 6 months ago.

    This Orion chipset isn't half bad, using 4-way interleaving to keep up
    with the 4 processors. It scales pretty well when compared to some dual
    PII machines I have tested that *really* bog down when you run two of
    these things. I was surprised as this is a 66mhz bus also.

    > http://cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov/hypermail/beowulf/beowulf.9712/subject.html#start
    >
    > or more specifically:
    >
    > http://cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov/hypermail/beowulf/beowulf.9712/0067.html
    >
    > > -

    > Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
    > Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
    > PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
    > It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
    > arms. Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
    > the right, 1843.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.024 / U:30.948 seconds]