    SubjectRe: Thread implementations...
    > I'm a little curious as to which circumstances you are thinking of.
    > As far as I can see, it's a syscall for a single application (a
    > web server serving static objects) which is basically little more
    > than a benchmark. If you really have such a hugely loaded web server
    > you are likely to be doing lots of database lookups, cookie-controlled
    > variable content, shtml, other cgi trickery, etc. And if you really
    > just want to serve static objects as fast as possible, a round-robin
    > DNS with multiple servers gets you more robustness and a solution that
    > scales above Ethernet speeds.
    > Would we just be doing this to look good agains NT in webstones?

    As has been mentioned previously, if we add a fairly generic syscall
    ssize_t copy(int fromfd, int tofd, size_t len)
    then this will be useful to a lot of applications, not only Web servers, but
    even file managers, cat, etc. And web servers really spend horrible long
    time in copying data from files to the wire.
    Such a system call could open a wide range of slick tricks, like the SCSI
    to SCSI copy with a SCSI command without ever reaching memory, or by
    implementing COW buffers, one could do zero-copy file copying: during copy,
    just create new buffer-heads and point them to the same b_data and mark them
    as COW, thus save memory and the numerous copying. I think some kind of COW
    for buffer cache will be needed anyways for journaling, so this would be
    just another use...

    Jakub Jelinek | |
    Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University
    Ultralinux - first 64bit OS to take full power of the UltraSparc
    Linux version 2.1.106 on a sparc64 machine (498.80 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:25.620 seconds]