    SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability
    On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
    > Michael Marxmeier writes:
    > > Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
    > >>
    > >> md already provides the ability to do much of this. The question is
    > >> whether we need to actually resize existing [virtual] block devices:
    > >
    > > LVM extends on the capabilities of MD.
    > > - MD is limited to block devices whereas LVM is much more flexible
    > > to support non-continguous devices as well.
    > > - standard administration
    > > - the LVM design could more easily extended
    > >
    > > I would like MD to be replaced by LVM.
    > MD can provide the real block devices.

    No it can't. MD works on the block device level, meaning
    that you can't simply extend your raid-5 LV...
    _Unless_, of course, you want to divide all your disks in
    tiny chunks of the same size and handle the LVM stuff on
    top of that. Compared to that scenario, the LVM solution
    will probably be much cleaner :)

    | Linux memory management tour guide. |
    | Scouting Vries cubscout leader. |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:28.160 seconds]