SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability
Hi,

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 20:26:14 +0200, Michael Marxmeier <mike@msede.com>
said:

> There are two levels of LVM on HP-UX:

> 1. The basic LVM functionality is to provide a virtual block device
> (logical volumes) and also provides some RAID levels. Resizing of
> filesystem requires unmounting and using the extendfs utility.

md already provides the ability to do much of this. The question is
whether we need to actually resize existing [virtual] block devices:

> 2. The optional on-line LVM provides on-line resizing functionality.
> This requires tight integration with the fs code. IMO on HP-UX
> this requires usage of the vxfs (veritas) file system and is not
> possible with hfs. The fsadm utility is used to perform on-line
> operations on a file system.

... and fs resizing on Linux will need fs support too. Again, the
question is, given that the fs needs to add support, do we need resizing
support at the block device layer TOO? Or is that just extra
unnecessary complexity? I for one would be quite happy with a scheme in
which the filesystem could span multiple block devices; that would allow
shrinking and growing at will, without any complex interaction
requirements between the filesystem and the block device layers.

--Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.110 / U:0.040 seconds]