    SubjectRe: Thread implementations...
    In article <>,
    Chris Wedgwood <> wrote:
    >On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 10:13:57PM +1000, Richard Gooch wrote:
    >> If we get madvise(2) right, we don't need sendfile(2), correct?
    >It would probably suffice. In fact, having a working implementation of
    >madvise, etc. would make sendfile pretty trivial to do in libc. (Again, I
    >assuming that whether or not we need it, if it can be implemented in
    >userspace then why not...)

    However, the thing to notice is that a "sendfile()" system call can
    potentially be a lot faster than anything else. In particular, it can
    be as clever as it wants about sending stuff directly from kernel
    buffers etc.

    I know there are a lot of people who think zero-copying is cool, and
    that tricks with mmap() etc can be used to create zero-copy. But don't
    forget that it's a major mistake to think that performance is about
    whether the algorithm is O(1) or O(n) or O(n^2). People tend to forget
    the constant factor, and look blindly at other things.

    In particular, doing a mmap() itself is fairly expensive. It implies a
    lot of bookkeeping, and it also implies a fair amount of mucking around
    with CPU VM issues (TLBs, page tables etc). In short, it can be rather

    Due to that expense, things that use mmap() often have a "cache" of
    mappings that they have active. Thet gets rid of one expense, but then
    there is the new expense of maintaining that cache (and it can be a
    fairly costly thing to maintain if you want to doa threaded webserver).

    In contrast, a "sendfile()" approach can be extremely light-weight, and
    threads much better because it doesn't imply the same kinds of

    Now, I'm no NT person, but I suspect that we actually do want to have a
    "sendfile()" kind of thing just because it should be fairly easy to
    implement, and would offer some interesting performance advantages for
    some cases. No, it's not truly generic, but it is useful enough in many

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:119.564 seconds]