SubjectRe: Major 2.1.x problem index
alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:

> http://roadrunner.swansea.uk.linux.org/jobs.shtml holds the major showstopper
> items for a 2.2 release, and a few other bugs indexed on a web page.
>
> I've gone back to problems filed and reproduced from 2.1.97 onwards
> so far. My archive goes back a lot further, its just less and less
> productive the further I dig (and more and more boring ;)).
>
> This isnt intended to be an index of everyone who reported every minor
> bug, but of major pieces of known problem.

More bugs:

- NROPEN == defaults rlimits fd limit. This means every user can hose the
system for all but root processes with
main() { for(;;) open("/dev/null",O_RDONLY); }
To fix: either needs more dynamically growing global fd tables, or per user
resource limits.

- NFS over TCP is broken, but enabled per default (proper fix is to just
#ifdef it out I think, because it is too late to fix it)

- NFS is still broken on 64bit machines I believe because the file handle
exceeds 32bytes.

- IPv6 option handling: is totally broken (IPv6 has some other bugs too,
especially in the routing code, maybe it should be marked
CONFIG_VERY_EXPERIMENTIAL)

- IPv4 option handling in the fragmentation/defragmentation pass:
is probably broken (conflicting bug reports)

- IPv4 ICMP dest_unreachable/no_route_to_host are not load-limited.
I'm not sure if it is worth to fix it.

Regarding isdn4linux:

The version in the 2.1 kernel has some bugs (e.g. it often needs a
device down/up to proper redial after hangup), but all bugs I found were
already fixed in the CVS repository version from oldhades.think.de:/i4ldev

Regarding the Adaptec 2940 driver:

It does not boot on my machine when the kernel is compiled SMP, but the
last version from ftp.dialnet.net (5.0.19) works, so it should be probably
upgraded to it.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:2.165 / U:0.044 seconds]