SubjectRe: LM78 Kernel Support?
On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

> As for the module you mentioned, I've been using a slightly different
> module too, which talks to the LM78 using the ISA bus too.
>
> This is probably *not* the way to go. The definitive better way is to add
> support for the SMBus (System Management Bus), which is a slightly
> bastardised I2C, and use it to talk to the various SMBus-enabled chips.

The ronald.schmit@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de lm78 module uses port 295 to
talk to the lm78 but it uses the smbus to talk to the lm75.

I agree with you that it is too ad-hoc for a general interface.

It may even be specific to Asus motherboards, as there are issues about
how the bios configures the hardware.

--
Shaw Carruthers - shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk
London SW14 7JW UK