SubjectLM78 Kernel Support?

Is there a formal patch or utility for sampling voltages, temperatures,
and fan speeds on motherboards which is LM78 equipped?

I do have a little kernel module which adds a /proc file which contains
current hardware stats, but it has crashed my machine twice now (after
hundreds of times of using it). If interested, it's at:

http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~ronsc/tree/2_Projects/0_c++/lm78/index.html

It is simple, but not very stable (at least on my SMP machine). The point
of using this is to monitor the health of the machine, but by using it it
makes the machine unstable! (BTW- the author is unreachable.)

Has someone else made a better/more stable version of this? If not, then
I wouldn't mind making this a pet project if I can get access to the
technical info. Ideas?

Thanks!

Phil

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans