SubjectRe: SCSI in kernel 2.0.34.
Daniel Ryde wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > Has been running ok during the night now. I'll be back if something
> > > happens. A warning might be the proper thing to issue, that the aic7xxx
> > > driver currently in kernel 2.0.34 can severely damage your filesystem.
> >
> > If it does you will be a first ever. 5.0.14 fails to negotiate wide/narrow
> > during booting some times that is all that is basically astray with it.

Some of the messages in the original post were about negotiation, but the
trly troubling message is the same one he got below:

> Yepp, thats I saw too, and I got the first error just now:
>
> SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0 return code = 28000002
> extra data not valid Current error sd08:11: sense key Hardware Error
> Additional sense indicates Internal target failure
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Come on Daniel, you can read. The drive is complaining that there is some
sort of internal error. Now, if the driver itself has triggered that, then
it will be a first for me. On the other hand, I saw one other person in the
past perform a driver update and then have things go south on them. In that
case, it was more an issue of during the update, the first boot was
unsuccessful (due to certain options), the second boot had to run e2fsck for
the first time in a while, and e2fsck found sectors that had gone bad. The
end result, there was a coincidence between the upgrade and the problem, but
the problem was still bad sectors.

> scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:11, sector 4, absolute sector 36
>
> Hmm, 08:11??? /dev/sda11, where the heck did it find that?

I do believe that the 11 is hex, aka, 8/17 in decimal. That corresponds to
/dev/sdb1, which is there, and that also means the sector numbers make sense
now.

> Partition check:
> sda: sda1 sda2 sda3
> sdb: sdb1
>
> # ls -al /dev/sda /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb /dev/sdb1
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 May 28 1997 /dev/sda
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 May 28 1997 /dev/sda1
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 2 May 28 1997 /dev/sda2
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 3 May 28 1997 /dev/sda3
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 May 28 1997 /dev/sdb
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 17 May 28 1997 /dev/sdb1
>
> So I'll guess better back to 2.0.34pre10 for now and see what happens.

Run an e2fsck -c /dev/sdb1 under the 2.0.34pre10 and see what it has to say
(or what messages the driver throws on the screen).

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
Opinions expressed are my own, but