    SubjectRe: what happening to my system
    Good day, Rejean,
    I'll cover what I can...

    On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Rejean Turgeon wrote:

    > i'm using slackware 2.0.34 and i get the following error msgs at bootup
    > time
    >
    > Jun 15 20:12:28 modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10

    My best guess is that this has to do with your Real-time clock. I
    compiled one of the clock options as a module and this showed up. Try
    adding the following to /etc/conf.modules or /etc/modules.conf :
    alias char-major-10 misc
    alias char-major-10-0 busmouse
    alias char-major-10-1 psaux
    alias char-major-10-2 msbusmouse
    alias char-major-10-3 atixlmouse
    alias char-major-10-130 wdt
    alias char-major-10-131 wdt
    alias char-major-10-139 openprom

    (Thanks to Adam Richter for the effort to make a universal
    conf.modules).
    If that doesn't help, try recompiling your kernel with all clock
    related choices as "y" instead of being modules.

    > Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.34/net/dummy.o
    > Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.34/net/slip.o

    Is there any chance you compiled 2.0.34 once with these as modules
    and then went back and compiled them right in the kernel?
    If not, I'm afraid you'll need to try:

    insmod -v dummy
    and
    insmod -v slip

    and send the output of those back to the kernel list. It might be
    smart to send the output of:
    cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep -v '^#' | uniq
    as an attachment.

    > Jun 16 00:12:37 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5

    This is a network probe of some sort for the Appletalk protocol
    family. If you don't use Appletalk, you can tell your box to ignore it
    with the following, also in /etc/conf.modules or modules.conf :

    alias net-pf-5 off # Forget Appletalk

    I also have the following which suit my needs:

    alias net-pf-3 off # Forget X.25
    alias net-pf-4 off # Forget IPX
    alias net-pf-17 af_packet

    > Running gpm...
    > fopen: No such file or directory

    Do you have a symbolic link in /etc for your mouse? If not, you
    might need to create one. On my RedHat, I just run mouseconfig<Enter>
    and it creates the necessary link from /dev/psaux to /dev/mouse. If you
    don't have mouseconfig, you might try:

    cd /dev
    ln -sf /dev/ttyS0 /dev/mouse #for com1
    or
    ln -sf /dev/ttyS1 /dev/mouse #for com2
    or
    ln -sf /dev/ttyS2 /dev/mouse #for com3
    or
    ln -sf /dev/ttyS3 /dev/mouse #for com4
    or
    ln -sf /dev/psaux /dev/mouse #for ps/2 mouse

    If these don't help, try man gpm or gpm --help.

    > plus after bootup time i get when i type ps ax|more
    >
    > 209 ? Z 0:00 (request-route <zombie>)
    > 848 ? Z 0:00 (request-route <zombie>)
    >
    > and it will go up to 7 oer 8 like this in the next 3 days

    The default request-route that came with my system had a nasty
    habit of filling up the task table with zombies like yours. As I don't
    need it, I simply did:

    cd /sbin
    mv request-route request-route.notneeded

    Unless someone has a better idea, you'll need to reboot (ugh!) to
    get rid of the existing zombies.

    > can't find where it's coming from i've disabled the routed in the rc.?
    > file still getting these..

    It's not related to routed. It's from an on-demand routing scheme
    that appears to be slowly being phased out.

    I copied linux-kernel on this to answer questions for others that
    might also be interested in the answers, but maybe we could take this to
    private mail for follow-up as it's not directly related to kernel
    development?
    Cheers,
    - Bill

    Unix _is_ user friendly. It's just very selective about who its friends
    are. And sometimes even best friends have fights.
    William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com)