SubjectRe: LVM / Filesystems / High availability

I think Linux kernel ver 2.3 is going to do just we hope it is going to
do. On the list of things that I've seen realistically discussed are:

1) Vast improvement in the MM, such as zone alocation, etc.
2) The support for LVM. (I can't tell you how long I've been searching)
3) Super high throughput FS's that are journaled for
stability and speed of recovery.

I think/hope that the kernel group sees these issues as important to the
furthering of Linux in general. LVM is a pretty standard and easy
interface for doing lots of things, like mirroring, striping, etc.

I vote for a new age in scalability! Let us not look upon this
as kernel bloat. I know personally that the lack of such things in Linux
has kept many people from using it.

Not that Linux specifically needs a larger 'user' base to keep growing in
the future per-say.. what Linux *needs* is the ability to step in and
provide something similar to what Solaris does with the Veritas LVM.

BECAUSE: Imagine a small shop needing a DB server of some kind.. Why use
Linux? Non of your admins know readily how to use md, but they know LVM
pretty well... That alone will make them go to some comercial OS with an
LVM, and some proprietary load balancing genie like Veritas has
implemented. (Oracle on SCO?) Maybe Linux w/LVM and the advantage of
beign free would sway someone..

My point is this: Lets discuss this more... Bring it to the table more
often, and get it in the front of the line when 2.3 developement gets
going. When Merced comes out, you can bet there's gonna be some
commercial Unix waiting to gobble up that juicy small business market, not
that we're interested in markets! We want to PROLIFERATE! Then, just
maybe, I can get a life and quit bitching. X)

PS... lets not forget the real reason for this e-mail, it's just that some
of these new innovations DESERVE ATTENTION! (they're soooo damn kool!)

-Shawn