       Date: 	Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:45:46 +0000
    From: Richard Jones <>

    Rogier Wolff wrote:
    > Mark Lehrer wrote:
    > > I am not a filesystem expert, but I would like to understand what
    > > makes e2fs slow on my 4.5 gig partition; and if someone is working on
    > > performance and would like some help, please holler. Some slow
    > > operations, kernel 2.0.34:
    > >
    > > 1) removing 500 megs of files took 30 seconds.
    > > 2) fsck of course.
    > 3) Mounting large filesystems takes a long time: 46 seconds / 12G

    The fsck is a real problem. I can see it taking a long time
    when we start to fill the disk. Apart from writing a journalling
    filesystem from scratch, has anyone got any suggestions about
    how to improve fsck times?

    Well, here are the answers.

    1) I presented a paper at the Linux Expo and the Linux Kongress which
    discussed the design of how to add B-tree support to the ext2
    filesystem. Adding B-tree support to directories and for block
    extent maps will significantly improve a large number of filesystem
    operations, including large-scale deletes.

    2) Stephen Tweedie presented a paper in the Linux Expo about adding
    a metadata log to the ext2 filesystem. He has implemented a
    prototype already, and will be integrating this functionality in the
    2.3 kernel series.

    3) To shorten the amount of time to mount a filesystem, you can use the
    mount option "check=none". This will stop the filesystem from doing
    a sanity check over the inode and block bitmaps, which can take
    quite a bit of time on large filesystems.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.021 / U:2.032 seconds]