SubjectRe: Journaled FS
On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 12:01:37 -0400 (EDT)
> Adam D. Bradley <artdodge@cs.bu.edu> wrote:
>
> > I'm working on a design for a log-structured FS with things like high
> > availability and dynamic volumes (i.e., add/remove disks on the fly)
> > in mind. Current working-name is "XLFS", likely to change regularly
> > until I turn an alpha version loose on the list ;-)
>
> Please think about NOT adding/removing disks but instead using
> resized volumes.
>
> Have a look at my Logical Volume Manager (LVM) at
> <http://www.linux-kongress.de/nachlese98.html>
> and
> <ftp://ftp.msede.com/pub/linux/lvm>.
>
> The LVM does the job of resizing volumes at run time without
> beeing stuck to partition limitations.

The LVM is certainly a powerful tool, and a standard LFS could very
easily take advantage of it; however, there are some kinds of
functionality I want to play with that require explicit awareness of
distinct physical volumes. (Consider software-variable striping and
redundancy, for example, or ways of implementing "guaranteed disk
bandwidth" in the style of SGI's XFS.)

Adam
--
You crucify all honesty \\Adam D. Bradley artdodge@cs.bu.edu
No signs you see do you believe \\Boston University Computer Science

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.084 / U:0.148 seconds]