SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: e2fsprogs and +2Gb partitions
On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
[much, including]
> And why is duplication bad? That's just some semi-religious mantra, but it
> has absolutely no meaning. Instead of calling it duplication, think of it
> as "replication", which for some strange reason is considered a positive
> thing in CS, even though it means the same thing as "duplication" which
> has these silly negative connotations.

"Duplication" tends to be read as "we have multiple copies of the
information and they are maintained in parallel by hand". "Replication"
tends to be read as "we have multiple copies of the information and some
automatic mechanism keeps them consistent within a few
{seconds|minutes|hours}". Given what I know about my own ability to keep
things consistent manually, I much prefer replication to duplication.
Does that help?

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mwood@IUPUI.Edu
Nothing is so dangerous as being too modern. One is apt to grow old-fashioned