    SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: e2fsprogs and +2Gb partitions
    On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, David S. Miller wrote:
    > From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
    >
    > I think that kernel header files should be used for building the
    > kernel. Nothing else.
    >
    > I for the most part agree. However the issue I brought up still
    > stands for a soluation, as does another issue:
    >
    > 1) The latency from adding a new (for example) flag bit to
    > a structure and when user programs can actually get at it.

    > What about when new SCSI cdrom or IDE or (add your favorite driver
    > here) ioctls are added... I could go on and on...
    > It used to be possible with kernel headers, but as many have pointed
    > out kernel headers used by userspace have a lot of other problems.
    >
    > So all I ask is a proposal to solve this problem within the context of
    > the way we want things to work now. I think Matti pointed out some
    > important issues which need to be addresses as well, wrt. inet6
    > support on glibc-2.0.x systems running 2.1.x kernels

    The most obvious solution would be to export the function
    prototypes for all userspace-used functions to userspace.
    Plus we need to export the prototypes for module-exported
    functions (kernel/ksyms.c) in a for-modules include file.

    Maybe we can even build these include files automatically,
    since these functions are exported explicitly (for modules
    in <kernel/ksyms.c> and syscalls in <entry.S>.

    Rik.