> From: Linus Torvalds <>
> I think that kernel header files should be used for building the
> kernel. Nothing else.
> I for the most part agree. However the issue I brought up still
> stands for a soluation, as does another issue:
> 1) The latency from adding a new (for example) flag bit to
> a structure and when user programs can actually get at it.

> What about when new SCSI cdrom or IDE or (add your favorite driver
> here) ioctls are added... I could go on and on...
> It used to be possible with kernel headers, but as many have pointed
> out kernel headers used by userspace have a lot of other problems.
> So all I ask is a proposal to solve this problem within the context of
> the way we want things to work now. I think Matti pointed out some
> important issues which need to be addresses as well, wrt. inet6
> support on glibc-2.0.x systems running 2.1.x kernels

The most obvious solution would be to export the function
prototypes for all userspace-used functions to userspace.
Plus we need to export the prototypes for module-exported
functions (kernel/ksyms.c) in a for-modules include file.

Maybe we can even build these include files automatically,
since these functions are exported explicitly (for modules
in <kernel/ksyms.c> and syscalls in <entry.S>.

| Linux memory management tour guide. |
| Scouting Vries cubscout leader. |