SubjectRe: Remote fork() and Parallel programming
   Date: 	Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:29:43 +0330
From: mshar@vax.ipm.ac.ir

>It's not the bandwidth that's the issue, it's the latency. Bandwidth is
>easy. Latency is hard. DSM systems /all/ die because of latency issues.

The main argument of anti-DSM people has always been the band-width (that
message passing can better use the bandwidth because the programmer has
total control over the transfers and can tune the program's behaviour), but
fortunately that is no longer important.

Would you like to say more about that? I would think that this is very
important, and not being able to handle this case well would result in
really bad performance.

If the programmer doesn't know which shared memory is local and which
shared memory is distributed across systems, the resulting performance
characters could be quite ugly.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:2.280 seconds]