    SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: e2fsprogs and +2Gb partitions
    > If I want to make a program for Linux that's non-portable: Thats my right.
    > If I release it under something like the GPL, and you want to port it,
    > then you can. I dont have to port it for you. If you send me patches, and
    > I'm feeling nice, I can include them and make the code portable for
    > everyone. That's my choice.

    You're wrong and really far out the spirit of GNU. The GPL is here to
    protect the right for people to *use* programs. This is the ultimate
    goal. Protecting the programmer is the intermediate step.

    If, by releasing your code under the GPL *and* making it Linux-specific,
    you're denying the right for others to compile and run your program.
    There are others around. Others who may want for example to use the
    HURD kernel. Or the FreeBSD. or SunOS. Remember those?

    If GPL programs are being made Linux specific while it should be the
    contrary, then, by all means create a Linux Public License, create a
    Linux C Library, create a Linux-Compiler, in other words, create a LINUX
    operating system.

    For the moment, you're only using the kernel, the rest is GNU.

    Linux is so popular due to the extremely portable GNU programs that were
    written before. The original idea was to create a full blown OS, but
    they wrote software that would run in a wide range of others operating
    systems that were Unix-like and have some support for POSIX/ANSI-C
    compliance. Now we have a full blown OS (Linux/GNU) and you're have the
    *very opposite idea*: "to hell with standards, I like Linux, I program
    for Linux." What if in the future I want (it is my right, remember?) to
    use the HURD as my kernel? Then all Linux-GPL programs would be of no
    use to me, unless someone take the pains of writing a
    Linux-compatibility module for the HURD (like in freebsd?).

    And besides what kind of programs are you talking about? Come on, any
    program that doesn't make hardware access can be written in glibc
    without any pain at all. Like GNU.

    I think you should remember this and respect this idea. It was this
    idea that is making you code freely these days.

    []s fabricio

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.021 / U:15.792 seconds]