    SubjectRe: Buffer Memory
    On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Rik van Riel wrote
    > > o This can give some nasty deadlocks, better would be to
    > > allocate one 'last' page to the buffer memory, call
    > > bdflush, schedule and return. This might give us enough
    > > delay to clear things up.
    > Astonished by this, because i've had the effect of VERY bad performance
    > and even locking up WITHOUT my patch.

    That's the same here, when I implemented my version
    of the patch. But apperantly there are some places
    in the kernel which could lock when there are no
    buffers (Linus?). At least, that's the answer I got
    when Linus rejected my patch.

    And since I've got a feeling that he might be right,
    it would be best to just allocate one page at a time,
    wake up kflushd and schedule when we hit this situation.

    > I'm not sure, why this patch can cause a deadlock, because a "return 0;"
    > is the "normal" case, if "__get_free_page" in "grow_buffers()" fails.

    It could cause a deadlock when we need a buffer in order
    to do something semi-critical inside of the kernel. At
    least, according to Linus. Maybe Stephen Tweedie has more
    info, or knows something to disprove Linus' point of view.
    It would be nice if we could be sure that your code worked

    | Linux memory management tour guide. |
    | Scouting Vries cubscout leader. |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:4.000 seconds]