SubjectRe: New Linux distribution - PSL
Date
Geert Uytterhoeven enscribed thusly:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Stefan Petters wrote:
> > It took me some time, but I've currently running Debian on about 20 PCs.
> > Really maintaining I'm only one (the server which is an SMP--machine,
> > the rest are mostly single--processor--machines). I had to configure a
> > few things seperatly for each host (like fstab or things like that)
> > hacked the scripts in /etc/init.d to accept an /etc/rc.config (This was
> > refused by Debian about 2 and a half years ago and is now implemented in
> > a very similar way, the replies indicated, that they didn't understand
> > the concept at first ;-) and manage different setups (ISDN--router,
> > modem--server, boards with framegrabber). To distribute changes made on
> > the server I use SUP. This way I wriggled my way, from one of the first
> > releases over to rex, bo and now hamm. I've to say: Everything works
> > just fine.

> Same here, but we use rdist instead of sup.

If you are using rdist, you might want to take a look at rsync.
I used rdist for updating systems but after trying rsync I immediately
switched over. While both can use ssh as an underlying transport, rsync
can be orders of magnitude faster than rdist and it's much easier to setup.
You use the rsync command just the same way you would use the rcp or scp
commands except that you also have recursive modes, permission preservation,
mod time preservation, ownership preservation, missing file deletion, etc,
etc, etc, like you do with rdist. The reason rsync is sooo much faster is
that it uses a "diff and patch" type of approach and only sends out changes.

The other BIG advantage rsync has over rdist is that it works
"both ways". You can rsync IN FROM a remote system as well as OUT TO
a remote system.

I didn't believe the speed improvements over rdist at first. It went
so fast, I thought it hadn't done anything - but the changes where there!

Check it out up at http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

> Greetings,

> Geert

> --
> Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be
> Wavelets, Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/
> Department of Computer Science -- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven -- Belgium

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com
(The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/