SubjectPOSIX SHM/semaphores (was Re: [Linux-3D] Try my new DMA ... )
On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Thomas Sailer wrote:

> Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> > SysV SHM still has advantages over mmap. I'd find mmap much more
> > useful if I could mmap /dev/zero, pass the FD to another process and
> > mmap there and hence share memory between the two.
>
> What about POSIX SHM? It seems to have the advantages of SysV SHM, but
> less of the disadvantages... (i.e. it has a very simple interface,
> the same goes for POSIX vs. SysV semaphores, the latter having
> an extremely complicated interface...)

Hi. I've never heard of POSIX SHM/semaphores. Can anyone point me to an
online resource? I assume that kernel support is necessary, and from a
private email with Tom I believe that Linux does not currently support it.
What are the kernel developers' thoughts on it?

thanks,
-bp
--
B. James Phillippe <bryan@terran.org>