    SubjectRe: [EXAMPLE-PATCH] /proc/config
    On Fri, 29 May 1998, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:

    > Minimal? My, I can't even count the times I've said to myself "What the
    > hell did I compile this kernel with?" Or, had to go through by hand via
    > make config to duplicate (and pray I got it right) a configuration on a
    > customer's site who managed to 'rm -rf /usr/src/linux'.

    Simple: When "make menuconfig"'ing, choose the "Save config"
    option, and save a copy of the config. When I compile a kernel,
    I rename it from "zImage" to something like "z2.0.34pre16-686"
    and I name the config file "/boot/config-z2.0.34pre16-686". I've
    got kernels that I compiled over a year ago, and I can easily
    match them with a config.

    This is a userland issue, or a "user organizational" issue, not a
    needed kernel feature.

    > IMHO, there are many more things in the kernel that have less usefulness
    > than this.

    Such as?

    > Besides, isn't it said that "Instead of griping about
    > something, implement it?" is the motto for linux-kernel?

    Well, you certainly could do that, and supply it for others as a
    patch. I doubt such a thing will make it past Linus though...

    Why not escape from the confines of Microsoft operating systems
    and try the true power of LINUX - a real OS.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.019 / U:148.252 seconds]