SubjectRe: Asymmetric multiprocessing?

Perhaps the best way of accomplishing this is like a multicomputer.

Each processor runs a seperate kernel, and they all talk via ultrafast,
over the bus, modified TCP/IP.

Then you have some stuff to do remotefork and process migration (if they
are the same CPU).. That would be preety cool.. As soon as someone gets
that working, I'd like to see someone make some PCI cards with some
strong-arms OR some TIC6es! (and some libs to use them)..

This would be easyist with unshared memory with each chip having their
own.

In a shared (or semi shared) it would be tough.. You'd have a master
processor allocate chunks for the other chips.. This would only work if
they all had decent MMUs I guess... :)

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Simon Richter wrote:

> Hi...
>
> Are there any plans that Linux should support multiple different
> processors in one machine, just as a Java processor in an ordinary PC,
> or a configuration found on many amigas: 68020 onboard + 68060 + PPC?
>
> This would be quite a lot of work, but on the other hand I think it's
> indeed very nice to run gimp on the PPC while the 68ks do all the dirty
> work in the background... :)
>
> CU
> Simon

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.051 / U:0.132 seconds]