SubjectRe: [EXAMPLE-PATCH] Autodetect -march=i586/686
Hello,

> # Checking for GCC version would be probably better...
>
> I don't know if I agree with that. After all, version numbers can change,
> different compilers can be used.

Do you know of any other compiler than GCC and EGCS which can compile
the Linux kernel?

> There is a reason why in GNU's autoconf,
> they test compile things to determine whether they work or not. Nothing is
> more certain that actually trying it.

The problem is that it's wise to set several other options if you have GCC
2.8.X or EGCS -- for example leave code alignment to the compiler. Thus you
either write a hundred-line script for each architecture which analyses what
switches we wish to use does the compiler support or you can just test the
compiler version and have two or three option strings available for each
architecture.

> # Have a nice fortnight
>
> After you slew a good 5 minutes of my work ??? :)

;-))

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"The best way to accelerate Windows is at 9.8 m / sec^2"