    SubjectRe: How to debug an oops.
    On Fri, 29 May 1998, Brian Schau wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Subject says it all. How do I find information about how to debug an
    > oops:
    > May 29 14:28:02 rlis6 kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at
    > virtual address ca31d1c5
    > ....?
    > (Is it an oops?)
    > Regards,

    If the oops does not kill the system, copy the oops from one of the
    log-files (/var/log/info /var/log/debug, etc..) and run it through
    ksymoops (source is linux/scripts/

    If the oops halts a boot, record the IP address, not the virtual address
    as shown above. Then, after booting a kernel that works, use gdb:

    # gdb /usr/src/linux/vmlinux
    (gdb) disassemble [saved IP address]

    If the oops is consistent, you can recompile the kernel with the "-g"
    option (in the top-level Makefile, where CC is defined, add -g).
    rebuild the entire kernel (make clean), them make bzImage.

    After you get the oops, write down the IP address again, then reboot

    # gdb /usr/src/linux/vmlinux
    (gdb) list *saved_IP_address

    This will show the actual line of code that, when executed, caused the
    oops. Neat! Fix. Make a patch-file. Submit!

    Dick Johnson
    ***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.103 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.018 / U:2.504 seconds]