SubjectRe: oh woe, oh woe, oh woe is me... [2.0.34p16 + 3com]
On Wed, 27 May 1998, Serguei Koubouchine wrote:

> > system is actually the problem. I don't know how many times I have sent a
> > one-line "Don't use 'gated'" response to angry messages about my drivers.
>
> Do you have an alternative to gated ? I'd be very happy if you tell us
> about one...

The problem was that RedHat 5.0 shipped with a broken 'gated' RPM that was
turned on by default.
They now have a fixed RPM available.

> Or may be you do want to persuade us that Linux is totally useless as
> something more complex than a game machine connected to the Net via the only
> interface with a static route ? Or may be we have to forget about OSPF etc.
> and give up to Cisco routers with several hundreds static routes installed
> into each ? It'd be a real horror for a sysadmin of a moderately big
> network...

My point was that I learn about every possible broken configuration and
distribution. I thought that I was using an example that everyone knew
about. How 'bout this one: "No, 10hine connected to the Net via the only
> interface with a static route ? Or may be we have to forget about OSPF
etc.
> and give up to Cisco routers with several hundreds static routes installed
> into each ? It'd be a real horror for a sysadmin of a moderately big
> network...

My point was that I learn about every possible broken configuration and
distribution. I thought that I was using an example that everyone knew
about by now! There are far more obscure problems..

How 'bout the all-time biggest contributer to bogus bug reports: "No, the
driver isn't stuck at 10mbps, despite what 'ifconfig' is reporting".
Media (speed+duplex) selection is the most difficult part of keeping a
driver working with new card versions, so I can't ignore these. But most
are simple user errors.

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD. 20771
301-286-0882 http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/people/becker/whoiam.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.267 / U:0.004 seconds]