Subjectoh woe, oh woe, oh woe is me... [2.0.34p16 + 3com]
Hi,

More disasters to report, I'm afraid:

1. The network gave up again yesterday, so I removed and reinserted
the 3c59x module, happily ignoring the two accompanying oopses.
Shortly after, the oopses started coming in thick and fast and a
reboot was required. (They were mostly in ip_send_room and
ip_make_header, or similar; call trace upon request.) System seemed
to shut down OK though, apart from a few more oopses.

2. Once up again, apart from a few "TX: resetting the ring pointer"s the
thing seemed pretty solid until a "panic: skput 0x4xxxxxxx:xxxx" (or
similar) appeared and then it was big red (actually grey) button time.
No VTs, no ctrl-scroll lock; I was surprised to see the led on the
network card still on...

Network driver in (1) was a 3c59x as shipped in 34p16 with the transmit
protect patch from DaveM; in (2) it was the vanilla 34p16 driver.

Are either of these worth investigating? (Chris reckons that the oopses
are due to an unprotected error path in 3c59x which dereferences NULL
pointers left, right and centre.)

Cheers, and apologies for spoiling your pre34s,
Matthew.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.090 / U:0.292 seconds]