    SubjectRe: Multiple swap partition uglies (fwd)
    On Tue, 26 May 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

    > I seem to remember something relating to early in the 2.0 series
    > (around 2.0.11 IIRR) where a bug was found to exist relating to swap
    > areas with equal priorities, and I don't think it was ever tracked
    > down, but the advice given then was NOT to use swap areas with equal
    > priority...

    Hi Riley,
    yep, looks like the problem's still there in 2.0.31.

    Seeing as Netscape is where the problem is most evident, is a strace on
    Netscape the best approach to solving the problem? Should be simple to
    write a short program to keep just the last meg of strace output, run
    Netscape, wait for the box to commence its grinding behaviour, then examine
    the strace dump?

    Of course, dumping the strace may interact with swapping in
    wierd ways, and conceal the problem.

    Any suggestions?

    Cheers

    Paul

    ,---
    Paul Wilkins | o o |
    Internet Operations Manager ` \_/ ' Linux
    TMP Worldwide /\___/\ The Choice of
    paulw@tmpw.com.au |_/ . \_| A GNU Generation
    http://www.monsterboard.com.au \_/___\_/