    SubjectRe: Modules
    On Thu, 21 May 1998, Smilax Rotundifolia wrote:
    > Why is it not an option to compile the
    > IP masquerading modules,
    Nobody ever made the neccessary changes?

    > BSD compression,
    Legal reasons. There is a patent on the compression scheme, but it isn't
    enforced currently. Keeping the alogrithim out of the kernel proper might
    avoid some entanglements (making all of the kernel illegal instead of
    only that module). See the docs for GNU gzip for details, I'm guessing.

    > and PPP deflation modules
    Sombody followed the BSD compression's precident.

    > into the kernel, rather than as
    > modules? Personally, I feel that things would be a whole lot easier if
    > these were compiled into the kernel rather than being called seperately.
    So make the changes. It shouldn't be difficult. Insert a call to the
    initalisation code in one of the startup files (init/main.c?) (properly
    #ifdefed, of cource), test, diff, and send it off to linux-kernel!

    -=- James Mastros

    True mastery is knowing enough to bullshit the rest.
    -=- Me

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.071 / U:78.796 seconds]