SubjectRe: Cyrix 6x86MX and Centaur C6 CPUs in 2.1.102
Hi!

> /proc/cpuinfo is supposed to report CPU information, not kernel
> bug-detection capabilities, IMNSHO. A normal Linux user with a non-Intel
> x86 would prefer to see a "clean" cpuinfo, without all the Intel-only
> bugs. Kernel bug-detection capabilities could be listed on another
> screen.

No. You are assuming that bugs are intel-only and that other
processors can not have same bug. For example 'wp bug' is shared over
all 386's... And 386 popad bug was shared between intel and amd,
also. So do not make cpuinfo specific to cpu type: apps do not want to
know which cpus cannot have bug etc.

[Imagine application that depended on some behaviour of F00F. That
application certainly would want to know how F00F behaves. If your
approach was used, application would have to list names of cpu's that
can't have bug and check against that ones...]

And - we do not want _another_ screen with bug-detection capabilities!

> BTW TSC calibration in the setup code would allow showing MHz rating in
> /proc/cpuinfo, so people would stop wondering why they get bogomips such
> and such everytime a new x86 processor comes out.

This is hard to do on 386's and such, and probably not worth effort.

--
I'm really pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz. Pavel
Look at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/ ;-).