SubjectRe: blocksize > 4K in ext2 ?
On Wed, 20 May 1998, Gerhard Mack wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > > or 32k on the ARM?
> >
> > I don't think the buffer and memory subsystems will have
> > any difficulties handling this. (could be wrong about
> > the buffers though ;)
> >
> > Then 'all that needs to be done' is adapting part of
> > ext2fs...
> >
> This brings to mind a question I asked myself last time I saw a thread
> along this line. Why doesn't someone make a fs just for cases that need
> large files? It seems to me there is quite a few people who need it for
> various reasons. This would imho solve the speed loss argument since the
> people who need the larger files would be the only ones using it.
Ok I'm currently on a 64Bit fs. Which is at the moment slightly (10-20%)
slower than ext2 but has a lot of other advantages. The only problem is
the 2GB limit with an 32Bit integer on x86.
Well I understand that we can't move generally to 8byte off_t types. Cause
an old i386 would go down in pain. But is there no way to use such a 8byte
value by accessing such large files?

Ralf

,-~~-.___.
/ | ' \ Yup that's what I like ....
( ) 0 __
==== | |

sieger@alpha.fh-furtwangen.de

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.028 / U:0.056 seconds]