    SubjectRe: Cyrix 6x86MX and Centaur C6 CPUs in 2.1.102
    Hi Martin,

    Martin Mares wrote:
    > I didn't implement it in the original CPU detection code as it seemed very
    > hairy to me and I didn't like to substantially enlarge the code by lots of
    > weird stepping naming conversions.
    > Anyway, just send me a patch :-)

    Please check 2.0.34pre7. I has my patch for the Cyrix chips, and a
    similar algorithm can be used for the AMD K5/K6 and the Centaur C6. It
    "enlarges" the kernel executable by about 100 bytes, the source by a
    dozen lines of code.
    > > d) Also bug reporting in /proc/cpuinfo. Everytime I see reported that my
    > > 6x86(L,MX) or K6 machines don't have the F00F bug, I wonder what use is
    > > there to report a bug that simply is _not_ there and couldn't be. This
    > > also confuses most Linux users.
    > Actually, this would be a bit confusing as you won't have any way to
    > distinguish between "this CPU cannot have this bug" and "this kernel doesn't
    > detect this bug".

    /proc/cpuinfo is supposed to report CPU information, not kernel
    bug-detection capabilities, IMNSHO. A normal Linux user with a non-Intel
    x86 would prefer to see a "clean" cpuinfo, without all the Intel-only
    bugs. Kernel bug-detection capabilities could be listed on another

    BTW TSC calibration in the setup code would allow showing MHz rating in
    /proc/cpuinfo, so people would stop wondering why they get bogomips such
    and such everytime a new x86 processor comes out.

    André Balsa

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:4.876 seconds]