    SubjectRe: Version 2.1.92 -> 2.1.101 Ethernet
    On Tue, 19 May 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > If I ping a Linux machine with a packet length of the default (64 bytes?),
    > > it works okay. As I increase the size up to the normal ~1460 bytes,
    > > nothing gets through! The problems start at a packet size of about
    > > 400 bytes. Tcpdump on the source machines show packets being transmitted,
    > > Tcpdump on the destination machine shows no packets received.
    > Check your cable quality is really cat5 and your hub is ok. Thats not a Linux
    > problem by any way I can figure it since we dont execute any different code
    > for long/short frames there.
    > Alan
    Right! It's a brand-new installation with all new high-quality stuff.
    The new (latest 3COM stuff) gets fed to/from a fiber back-bone. Everybody
    else thinks it's the greatest thing!
    I first thought the hub was bad so I had the Network techs patch me
    into another hub. Same problem.

    Then a tech brought his "@#&^_@*^" windoze laptop to my office and
    transferred a file at, what seemed like, a damned good speed, i.e.,
    one mouse-click and it's done.

    I know our network code should be good. I wonder about the checksum, not
    that it's bad, but that 3COM's checksum may be bad (reversed high/low
    bytes checksum okay until the carries have to be handled). I note that
    Windoze packet-lengths out of the laptop are only 512+header length!!!

    Dick Johnson
    ***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.101 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.026 / U:17.740 seconds]