    SubjectRe: 2.0.34pre breaks my system badly
    >> How about including Takashi Iwai's driver for the Sound Blaster AWE 32?  I
    >> can't vouch for the usability of the recent versions, but the current one
    >> is at:
    >>
    >> http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/awedrv/awedrv-0.4.2d.tgz

    I have a PNP AWE 64 Gold sound card. I've been using 0.4.2c for many
    months now. I've been using previous versions since last September on
    various 2.0 kernels. I listen to realaudio several hours a day on
    weekdays and I've *never* had a crash. It's good stuff, IMO.

    The only problem I had was when Linux 2.0.32 managed to stay up more
    than a month and I started getting stuff like:

    Mar 22 01:08:59 altair kernel: Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer

    I think that's due to the memory fragmentation problems folks have
    been working so hard to fix and shouldn't be held against the sound
    driver.

    Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

    > I've actually not touched sound at all, mostly because every new
    > version of OSS lite that Hannu has done for 2.0.x has had some
    > weird bugs. Initially I thought it must be Hannu but since I've
    > started hacking the sound code I feel a great deal of sympathy for
    > the man. SB clones are worse and weirder than NE2000 clones.

    > If you want to do upgrade your sound its probably best to get both
    > the awedrv and the current OSS 3.8 for 2.0.x and see how they go for
    > you. If they work for your combination they are way better than the
    > 2.0 sound code. If not well diff -R ;)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.028 / U:33.136 seconds]