    SubjectRe: web based kernel compile
    On Mon, 4 May 1998, Raj Dutt wrote:
    > I am thinking seriously of doing a web/eMail based forms interface to kernel
    > compilation. The idea would be if you wanted to build the latest and greatest,
    > you'd head over to this web site, fill out the forms (or send an appropriate
    > ..config file) and in a short while, the site would either eMail you your fresh new
    > kernel or tell you that it is ready and make it available for download.

    I am willing to help with this project, in particular the CGI stuff.
    I would definitely recommend you do it in pure html, and not use Java or
    other such trickery, since your target users are likely as not going to
    have too weak a machine for java stuff.
    I have been playing with the idea of creating a web configurator for the
    kernel for some time now, ont eh basis of it being a fun hack, but haven't
    pursued it because I saw very little need for it. Your idea, and offer, of
    a publically available service make this a very worthwhile and fruitful
    project.
    I think the questions of resource usage will have to be thought through
    very carefully - how to provide a secure, efficient, powerful service.
    Let me know your plans on this one,

    -Greg Mildenhall

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.022 / U:98.336 seconds]