    SubjectRe: unicode
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: "Albert D. Cahalan" <>
    In newsgroup:
    > H. Peter Anvin writes:
    > > By author: "Albert D. Cahalan" <>
    > >> NTFS stores a 128-kB case table in the filesystem.
    > >> It is used to make the B-tree directories work right.
    > >
    > > It's not B-trees, it is case folding.
    > The B-trees would be useless without case folding, because NT would
    > have to do a linear search for lookups done in the Win32 API.

    You need case folding just to do the comparison, even with a linear
    search, if you define your system as case insensitive.

    > > Just goes to show just
    > > how bad an idea case folding is.
    > >
    > > Case insensitivity is specifically prohibited by Posix.
    > NTFS is a POSIX filesystem and does support case-sensitive files.
    > Filenames that differ only by case must be next to each other so
    > that the Windows API (not case-sensitive) can find files.
    > Without that ordering, NT would have to scan the directory like
    > it does for FAT. Think of WINE and ext2: the whole directory must
    > be scanned because we don't sort files in the right way.
    > Case insensitivity is good from the viewpoint of lazy software
    > developers. Normal users often complain about Linux being
    > case-sensitive. In fact, they see it as an annoying bug.
    > IMHO it ought to be controlled by a directory attribute.

    IMNSHO it is junk that doesn't belong in the filesystem. It suddenly
    means dragging in a whole character-system where it doesn't belong,
    although I have to say putting it inside the filesystem as opposed to
    the kernel automagically needing to figure it out would definitely be
    the lesser of two evils.

    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See for web page and full PGP public key
    I am Bahá'í -- ask me about it or see
    "To love another person is to see the face of God." -- Les Misérables

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.029 / U:186.276 seconds]