    SubjectRe: boot images/logos/splashes (yet another idea)
    On Thu, 14 May 1998 shalon@interlock.dfw.ibm.com wrote:
    > From: Marnix Coppens <maco@telindus.be>
    >
    > As long as we don't use IBM's idea for AIX to show some 3-digit numbers
    > on the LEDs to indicate the progress and possible errorcodes.
    > "Hello, support ? My RS/6000 got stuck at number 204."
    >
    > Eh? Why not, at least as an add-on?
    > I work on the IBM SP Support Line.
    > Those numbers are a *godsend* to us, though I'd like to get boot
    > messages like Linux uses as well. The combination would be wonderful.

    Yeah, our most popular number is `200'. But without the manual, it's very
    difficult to find out that the machine just wants someone to find the key and
    turn the lock.

    > Typical conversation:
    > "Hello, support? My node is hanging at 231"
    > "Ok. Do you have an entry in /etc/bootptab for this node?"
    >
    > Conversation without numbers:
    > "Hello, support? My node is hanging."
    > "Ok, what's the last thing on the screen?"
    > "Umm....it says something about sending and receiving packets."
    >
    > Much more room for error.
    > Assuming they read the right line in the first place.
    > With the LEDs, even a secretary who's been drafted cause the admin's
    > out sick can give us the basic info we need.

    And now the kernel source maintenance problem: how to impose unique numbers to
    kernel messages with the least labor?

    Greetings,

    Geert

    --