SubjectRe: [rather long] The Masses Have Spoken on the Boot Logo Topic :)
On Fri, 15 May 1998, Phil's Kernel Account wrote:

-> Logo by Default [INLINE] [INLINE] [INLINE] 45 / 34%

Yeah, but how many of those realize complexity of issue.

In windows world, if something does not work, you are told to upgrade
your hardware.

On the other hand, in linux world, if you want to get some thing to
work you do it in software way.

Now the question is how many of those people who whoted "Logo By
Default" realize the complexity of issue.

In case if Windows, you are told that you are to have AT LEAST
*Intel* 486, 16mb of ram and vga card(color monitor)/hdd [recalling
min req from memory]; OR it will not work for you.

And if it does not work for you, they will [at best] laugh at you.

Now if you want to make logo under linux, you want make it for:
Alpha,Arm,I386,mk68k(amiga,atari),mips,PPC(IBM RS/6000 PPC based,Power
Mac),Sparc,Sparc64, and other.

You have to realize that in case of linux, to make it works you basically
need just cpu/ram/mb/nic with netboot capability. It does not have any
gfx (or even txt processing capability at all!). ... or it may have serial
console .. or simple MGA or HGC (royal pain in butt to progam in gfx
mode).. CGA, MGA You also have to consider grayscale and BW montitors (yes
BW only, no gray scale), you have consider monitors which does not match
capabilities of gfx card (and thus possibility of monitor damage).
[for example I have an simple 12" BW monitor (vga only) connected to SVGA
capable card]

.. so no, logo by default is crazy idea.

However, there is an solution, you may opt to support only IA32
IFF it has *VGA* gfx capable card and opt to display simple
640x320x8bpp logo. It is what windows do after all even though
the logo loooks pretty I strongly belive it is only 8bpp bitmap.
.. just this and nothing more, it will work for this "majority" and
hopefully "minority" can show understanding.

...after all I belive sparcs have an simple logo when they boot up
but those are sparcs and nothing matches complexity of PC/AT compatibile
world.

and once again, and compile time option, turned off by
default. [you will have to make bzImage if you want use the logo
and understand minium requirements of such logo]

-Adam

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.118 / U:2.808 seconds]