SubjectRe: boot images/logos/splashes (yet another idea)
On Fri, May 15, 1998 at 02:23:51PM -0400, Phil's Kernel Account wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>

> Ours is '888'. Shalon should know this one; boot disk unavailable. Happens
> every few months. We had to call IBM tech the first time because we
> weren't getting ANYTHING, and were totally clueless. It's not in the
> manual, either. (Our RAID5 stack's internal controller died.)

888 is a system crash. if you call in with one of those, you'll be talking
to my group (; typically, you'll see a series of 4 numbers: 888-102-xxx-0cx

the 'xxx' can sometimes immediately point to hardware errors, especially if
the first number is a 2. otherwise, they're generic codes pointing to
things like data storage interrupts..

this is another thing i like about AIX over Linux. since using development
kernels i've had about 3 or 4 crashes, but i've never seen any pointers to
what might have caused them. i have syslog set to log kern.* to messages..

in AIX you can have a device set aside specifically to log system dumps to
be analyzed any time the machine crashes.

> ie; Disk errors are '8xx,' video errors are '1xx,' kernel errors are
> '2xx,' and so on. :)

they are catagorized in AIX.. check info explorer for 'List of Three-Digit
Display Values.'

--
pity this busy monster, manunkind, | Dennis Moore | Sarah
not. Progress is a comfortable disease. | rainking@frenzy.com | McLachlan